The Church
Gudja
St Mary's Church
The Archpresbyterial and Archmatrix Church of the Assumption of Mary, commonly called St Mary’s Church, is Gudja’s baroque parish church. It was built on plans by Tommaso Dingli beginning in 1656 and largely completed by 1666, then consecrated on 11 December 1785. Unusually, it has three bell towers, one of which, the William Baker Tower, is in neoclassical style. Inside, its art includes the titular painting of the Assumption by Pietro Gagliardi and a titular statue of Our Lady carved in wood in 1807 by Vincenzo Dimech.