The Church

Kalkara

Church of St Joseph

Kalkara’s parish church, dedicated to St Joseph, is one of Malta’s finest post-war churches. After the original was destroyed during World War II, the entire community rallied together to build a new neo-classical church in globigerina limestone. Designed by Chev. Vincenzo Bonello with Ġużè Damato, it was completed in 1952 and consecrated two years later. Its interior houses impressive works of art, including a marble high altar imported from Pietrasanta, a marble pulpit, and beautifully detailed Via Sacra. The church’s centrepiece is its titular statue of St Joseph, carved in Bolzano by Ferdinando Stuflesser, which arrived in Kalkara in 1949 through a solemn pilgrimage.