Heritage Sites

Birgu

The Oratory of St. Joseph

This small Oratory incorporates elements that predate the Knights’ arrival in 1530. Originally home to two older churches, it was rebuilt in 1832 when the Confraternity of St Joseph acquired the site. Much of the former Church of Our Lady of Damaxxena was integrated into the new building. Since 1990, the oratory has served as a parish museum, displaying Byzantine icons, sacred silverware, paintings from local churches, and historic relics such as the sword and hat of Grand Master Jean de Valette.